Here we present a very useful article on the Characteristics Of A Counselor which is very important for B.Ed and all the teaching exams. In this article, you will be able to read the Characteristics Of A Counselor notes and can also download the PDF from the link given below.
Counseling is a professional process that aims at solving the problems of individuals. It is an integral and central aspect of guidance.
Counseling involves the relationship between two individuals i.e. one that is professionally trained (counselor) and one who attains help from a counselor (counselee) in order to attain happiness in life and achieve his/her goals. In education, counseling is a collaborative process.
Counseling plays a key role in this scientific process. He/she be the one who tries to help the client/counselee in such a way that the client becomes stable in his life. Through the counselor’s help, the counselee learns the quality of adjustment in life.
Characteristics of a counselor
A counselor acts as a guide, facilitator to the client. There should be a sense of responsibility or mutual understanding in the counselor so as to make this process of counseling effective. The following are the characteristics/qualities of a counselor that he/she must possess-
A counselor needs to be genuine and real with his/her clients. He/she should suggest all the possible ways and ideas to the client to get out of the problem.
A counselor should keep himself/herself in the shoes of the counselee and should identify the counselee well rather than being sympathetic to him.
3. Maintaining confidentiality
A counselor should keep secrets of counselee to himself only to avoid any embarrassment to him. This would low down the counselee’s confidence and he/she would be hesitant to express his feelings and fears to the counselor.
4. Knowledge of latest courses and subjects
the counselor should have all the knowledge about the latest researches and subjects to allow the client to choose best for him.
Respector one’s fear and ability to identify clients’ hidden talents and helping them adjust with situations and arouse their coping skills.
6. Constant Positive
Constant positive regards to be given to counselor to boost confidence of the counselees.
7. Problem Solving
A counselor should identify problems faced by counselee.
A counselor has to be very patient. The patient/client needs to be satisfied with the patient so that he can have trust in the counselor. Thus the counselor needs to have ample time for his client.
9. Good Listener
Problems can only be solved if they are understood well. Hence a counselor needs to be a good listener. He should never interrupt what the client has to say. The counselor should give his inputs only when the client has finished talking.
The counselor should have good knowledge of solving the problems. He should know what to prescribe to the patients. He should deal with every patient/client differently.
Confidentiality is very important in all matters. It takes so much of the courage to openly say what the problem a person is having. However, a counselor should ensure that he maintains confidentiality on what the client tells him. The client would be greatly offended if the counselor discloses any of the information about him or her to other people. This means that the counselor must keep everything confidential.
a good counselor needs to be very observant and able to interpret body gestures or non-verbal communications. If the client seems angry, he should find out the cause of his/her anger before suggesting something.
Counselors should provide non-possessive warmth in a counseling environment. He/she should Smile and show concern and acceptance to the client.
14. Personal integrity
Counselor must maintain a high degree of credibility, personal integrity, and mutual trust.
15. Be respectful and non-judgmental
A counselor must respect each client’s beliefs and struggles, and never assert his/her personal values or beliefs.
16. Maintaining a therapeutic relationship with the counselee
Give the patient/client the opportunity to make his/her own decision from your message.
17. Have a flexible attitude
A counselor should be accommodating. Some of his clients will be late or may cancel, along with clients that are seeking a session urgently. A good counselor should possess a flexible attitude to ensure his clients feel safe and understood.
To download this as a PDF, join us on Telegram.
We hope that this article has been beneficial for you. If you have any quarry or questions regarding the content on our website, feel free to contact us here.
Follow us on our social media handles to get regular updates-
- ICT File [Computerized]
- Drama and Art in Education File [ENGLISH]
- Reading and Reflecting on Texts File [ENGLISH]
- Reading and Reflecting on Texts file [HINDI]
- Understanding the Self file [English]
- Understanding the Self file [HINDI]
- English Lesson Plans
- Biology Lesson Plans
- Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Commerce Lesson Plans
- Social Science Lesson Plans
- Mathematics Lesson Plans
- Physical Science Lesson Plans
- English Lesson Plans
- Hindi Lesson Plans
- Economics Lesson Plans
- Explain the concept of Cognitive Development in detail with special emphasis on Piaget’s Theory of Cognitive Development.
- Explain the term Parenting. Discuss in detail the various parenting styles that influence the development aspects of children and adolescents.
- Define assessment. How is it useful in the school education system?
- Discipline, Its Types, and Importance.
- Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy NotesWhat are the approaches of counseling?
- कोहलबर्ग के नैतिक विकास का सिद्धांत।
- विकास में अनुवांशिकता और वातावरण की सापेक्ष भूमिका को समझाइये।
- मीडिया क्या है? समझाइये और बढ़ते बच्चों और किशोरों पर मीडिया के दुष्प्रभावों की विस्तार से व्याख्या कीजिये।
- मूल्यांकन, आकलन तथा मापन में अंतर।
- निष्पक्षता तथा समानता में क्या अंतर है?
- परीक्षा क्या है?
- आकलन क्या है?
- ज्ञान प्राप्ति के स्रोत कौन-कौन से हैं?
- सूचना तथा ज्ञान में अंतर बताइये।
- एरिक्सन के मनो-सामाजिक विकास के सिद्धांत की व्याख्या कीजिये।
- परवरिश से आप क्या समझते हैं? विभिन्न परवरिश की शैलिओं के वारे में विस्तार से चर्चा करें जो बचपन और किशोर के विकास के पहलुओं को प्रभावित करतीं हैं।
- संज्ञानात्मक विकास का सिद्धांत।
- यौन तथा पितृसत्ता, यौन भेदभाव तथा यौन रुधियुक्तियों का वर्णन कीजिये।
We hope that this article on the Characteristics of a counselor has been helpful to you. We regularly post such articles. If you have any queries or suggestions about the content on our website, you can directly contact us.
Stay tuned to Group Of Tutors.