Here we present a very useful article on the Family as a Social Institution. The topic Family as a Social Institution is very important for B.Ed and M.Ed students.
In this article of the Family as a Social Institution, we will be able to learn the Importance of a good family, Definitions of family, Functions of a family as a social institution, etc.
You can read the notes and download the PDF as well from the button given below.
Family is one of the main socializing institutions of society. Other social institutions are religion, the economy of a country, law, and the interrelationship of these institutions. These social institutions meet basic needs and serve to reproduce patterns of behavior.
Among all family is one of the most influential institutions in socialization. This is the process through which people learn many things like norms, values, respect, beliefs, and culture.
This is the reason why the family is called the cradle of social virtues. We as a child learn our first lesson in cooperation, tolerance, love, self-sacrifice, and affection from the family itself.
The whole environment of a family influences a child’s overall growth. According to many psychologists, a person is something that he learns in a family.
All kinds of influences impact a child’s life. Bad influences in the family make the child learn bad things/habits whereas a good family makes children acquire good things/habits.
Importance of a Good Family
The importance of a family lies in bringing up the child to a full man or woman in the family atmosphere.
It is said that social institution is a complex set of interdependent social forces that meet basic needs and serve to replicate patterns of behavior.
As a social institution, family influences individuals but also communities and societies at large.
Definitions of family
The American Anthropologist defines family as a
“social group characterized by common residence, economic cooperation, and reproduction. It includes adults of both sexes, at least two of whom maintain a socially approved sexual relationship and one or more children adopted of the sexually cohabiting adults”.
According to Beirstead
“Family has functions for both the individual and society which are related to each other”.
According to Maclver
The family, almost without doubt/question, is the most important of any groups that human experiences offer. The family is always with us or more precisely, we are with it.
According to Burgess and Locke
Family is a group of persons, whose relations to one other are based upon consanguinity and who are kin to one other.
N. M. Nimkoff said
Family is the biological social unit including husband, wife and their children.
Functions of a Family as a Social Institution
According to some socialists, family plays an important role and considered the backbone of society. It performs the following functions:
1. Biological and Psychological Functions
these functions can be describe as:
- Reproducing new young ones.
- Provision of basic needs for the family, like food, housing, and clothing, etc.
- Giving love and affection to the kids which boost their morale.
- Providing internal and external security to each other.
- Providing safe shelter to the children.
2. Satisfaction of sexual needs
This is the essential functional in family regulation.
3. Enough potential and care is essential
4. Economic and Social Functions-
- Proper income
- Status establishment in society
- Chance of socialization
- Social control from rules and regulations
- Health care
- Imparting basic education to children
5. Cultural, Religious and Recreational Functions
Children have basic knowledge about religion from family. All sorts of indoor and outdoor activities for entertainment is needed for a child’s personality development.
We hope that this article on the Family as a social institution has been helpful to you. We regularly post such articles. If you have any queries or suggestions about the content on our website, you can directly contact us.
Stay tuned to Group Of Tutors.
You can download these notes in PDF format, click below to download-
Don’t have time to make files? Order yours now, Click Here!
Are you a tutor? Become a tutor, Click Here!
- Explain the concept of Cognitive Development in detail with special emphasis on Piaget’s Theory of Cognitive Development.
- Explain the term Parenting. Discuss in detail the various parenting styles that influence the development aspects of children and adolescents.
- Define assessment. How is it useful in the school education system?
- Discipline, Its Types, and Importance.
- Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy NotesWhat are the approaches to counseling?
- What is the MLE (Multilingual Education Programme)?
- National Institute Of Visually Handicapped, Dehradun.
- What are the Approaches of counseling?
- कोहलबर्ग के नैतिक विकास का सिद्धांत।
- विकास में अनुवांशिकता और वातावरण की सापेक्ष भूमिका को समझाइये।
- मीडिया क्या है? समझाइये और बढ़ते बच्चों और किशोरों पर मीडिया के दुष्प्रभावों की विस्तार से व्याख्या कीजिये।
- मूल्यांकन, आकलन तथा मापन में अंतर।
- निष्पक्षता तथा समानता में क्या अंतर है?
- परीक्षा क्या है?
- आकलन क्या है?
- ज्ञान प्राप्ति के स्रोत कौन-कौन से हैं?
- सूचना तथा ज्ञान में अंतर बताइये।
- एरिक्सन के मनो-सामाजिक विकास के सिद्धांत की व्याख्या कीजिये।
- परवरिश से आप क्या समझते हैं? विभिन्न परवरिश की शैलिओं के वारे में विस्तार से चर्चा करें जो बचपन और किशोर के विकास के पहलुओं को प्रभावित करतीं हैं।
- संज्ञानात्मक विकास का सिद्धांत।
- यौन तथा पितृसत्ता, यौन भेदभाव तथा यौन रुधियुक्तियों का वर्णन कीजिये।