National Policy on Disabilities 2006: The National Policy on Disabilities 2006 is a policy document developed by the Government of India to ensure the rights and inclusion of people with disabilities in society.
Introduction (National Policy on Disabilities 2006)
The National Policy on Disabilities 2006 is a policy developed by the Government of India to make sure that people with disabilities are included and treated fairly in society. The policy has several important parts, including making sure that public places and services are accessible to people with disabilities, providing them with education and employment opportunities, and offering social security measures like healthcare and financial assistance.
The policy also aims to empower people with disabilities to participate fully in society and create community-based organizations to support each other. Overall, the policy aims to ensure that the rights of people with disabilities are protected and that they are treated with respect and equality.
Objectives of the National Policy on Disabilities 2006
The National Policy on Disabilities 2006 has several key objectives, which include:
1. Prevention and early detection of disabilities: The policy aims to prevent disabilities wherever possible and to ensure early detection and intervention to minimize their impact.
Since disability in a large number of cases is preventable, the policy lays a strong emphasis on the prevention of disabilities. It calls for the program for the prevention of diseases, which result in disability, and the creation of awareness regarding measures to be taken for the prevention of disabilities during pregnancy
Rehabilitation measures is divided into three groups:
- Physical rehabilitation: Early detection and intervention, counselling and medical interventions, and provision of aids and appliances are included in it. The development of rehabilitation professionals also comes under it.
- Educational rehabilitation which includes vocational education.
- Economic rehabilitation to give them a dignified life in society.
2. Promotion of accessibility: The policy aims to make all public spaces and services accessible to people with disabilities, including transportation, buildings, and information and communication technologies.
3. Inclusive education: The policy recognizes the right of people with disabilities to education and promotes inclusive education that meets the needs of all learners.
4. Employment: The policy aims to promote equal employment opportunities for people with disabilities and to create a barrier-free and inclusive work environment.
5. Social security: The policy recognizes the need for social security measures to support people with disabilities, including healthcare, rehabilitation, and financial assistance.
6. Empowerment: The policy aims to empower people with disabilities to participate fully in society and create community-based organizations to support each other.
Overall, the National Policy on Disabilities 2006 aims to promote the inclusion and full participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of society and to ensure that their rights are protected and respected.
7. Women with disabilities Disabled women require protection against exploitation and abuse. To educate, employ, and provide other rehabilitation services to women with disabilities, special programs will be made, keeping in mind their special needs.
8. Children with disabilities: They are the most vulnerable group and need special attention. The government would strive to:
- Ensure the right to care, protection, and security for children with disabilities.
- Ensure the right to development with dignity and equality, creating and enabling an environment where children can exercise their rights, and enjoy equal opportunities and full participation in accordance with various statutes.
- Inclusion and effective access to education, health, and vocational training along with specialized rehabilitation services for children with disabilities are to be ensured.
- Ensure the right to develop as well as recognize special needs and care and protect children with severe disabilities.
9. Barrier-free environment: Barrier-free environment helps people with disabilities to move about safely and freely, and use the facilities within the built environment.
Barrier-free design aims to provide an environment that supports the independent functioning of individuals so that they can participate in everyday activities without assistance .
10. Issue of disabilities certificate: The Government of India has issued guidelines for evaluation of the disabilities and procedure for certification.
The government ensures that the person with a disability obtains the disability certificate without any difficulty in the shortest possible time by adopting a simple, transparent, and client-friendly procedure.
11. Social security: Disabled persons, their families, and caregivers incur substantial additional expenditure for facilitating activities of daily living, medical care, transportation, assistive devices, etc.
So, there is a need to provide them with social security by different means. The Central government provides tax relief to people with disabilities as well as their guardians. The state governments’ UTs administrations have been providing unemployment allowance or disability pensions.
12. Promotion of non-government organizations (NGOs): The government has been actively involving NGOs in policy formulation planning, and implementation monitoring and has been seeking their advice on various issues relating to persons with disabilities.
13. Collection of regular data on persons with disabilities: Regular collection, compilation, and analysis of data relating to the socio-economic conditions of persons with disabilities is required. The National Sample Survey organization has been collecting information on the socio-economic conditions of persons with disabilities regularly once in 10 years since 1981.
14. Research: For improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities research is supported on their social economic and cultural context, the cause of disabilities, and early childhood education methodologies. Research is also done on the development of user-friendly aids and appliances and all matters related to disabilities.
15. Sports recreation and cultural life: Sports are a great way to relax and feel better and also create community spirit. Persons with disabilities have the right to access sports recreation and cultural facilities. The government takes necessary steps to provide them with opportunities for participation in various sports, recreation, and cultural activities.
The National Policy on Disabilities 2006 in India aimed to create an inclusive society that promotes equal opportunities and participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of life. The policy identified various areas of intervention such as education, employment, accessibility, healthcare, and rehabilitation, and proposed specific measures to address the challenges faced by people with disabilities.
The policy also emphasized the need for a coordinated approach among different stakeholders and highlighted the role of technology in enhancing the lives of people with disabilities. Overall, the National Policy on Disabilities 2006 was a crucial step towards creating a more inclusive and equitable society, and its implementation remains crucial to achieve the desired outcomes.
See All B.Ed Assignments Here
Follow us on our social media handles to get regular updates-
- ICT File [Computerized]
- Drama and Art in Education File [ENGLISH]
- Reading and Reflecting on Texts File [ENGLISH]
- Reading and Reflecting on Texts file [HINDI]
- Understanding the Self file [English]
- Understanding the Self file [HINDI]
- English Lesson Plans
- Biology Lesson Plans
- Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Commerce Lesson Plans
- Social Science Lesson Plans
- Mathematics Lesson Plans
- Physical Science Lesson Plans
- English Lesson Plans
- Hindi Lesson Plans
- Economics Lesson Plans
- JAMIA FREE UPSC Coaching
- What do you mean by parenting? How does it influence the development aspects of children and adolescents?
- Define assessment. How is it useful in the school education system?
- Discipline, Its Types, and Importance.
- संज्ञानात्मक विकास का सिद्धांत।
- कोहलबर्ग के नैतिक विकास का सिद्धांत।
- मूल्यांकन, आकलन तथा मापन में अंतर।
- परीक्षा क्या है?
- आकलन क्या है?
- ज्ञान प्राप्ति के स्रोत कौन-कौन से हैं?
- एरिक्सन के मनो-सामाजिक विकास के सिद्धांत की व्याख्या कीजिये।
- परवरिश से आप क्या समझते हैं?
We hope that this article has been beneficial for you. If you have any quarry or questions regarding the content on our website, feel free to contact us here.
National Policy on Disabilities 2006 PDF, National Policy on Disabilities 2006 Assignment Notes, National Policy on Disabilities 2006 Notes, National Policy on Disabilities 2006 Hand Written Notes, National Policy on Disabilities 2006 PDF notes for B.Ed, National Policy on Disabilities 2006, National Policy for Persons with Disabilities Act, 2006