Roles and Functions of RCI: The Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) is a government organization in India that regulates the training and education of professionals who work in the field of rehabilitation and special education.
Its primary goal is to ensure that people with disabilities receive high-quality and standardized rehabilitation services from qualified professionals. The council also advises the government on rehabilitation policies and collaborates with other organizations to promote the welfare and rights of persons with disabilities.
Rehabilitation Council of India or RCI (Introduction)
The Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), is a government body, which was set up in the Indian parliament under an Act of Parliament. RCI regulates and conducts training programs and courses targeted and designed for disabled, disadvantaged, and special education requirement communities.
The Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) was started as a registered society in 1986. The RCI Act was passed in September 1992 by Parliament and it became a legal body on 22 June 1993. To make it more broad-based, the Act was amended by Parliament in 2000.
RCI is the only legal body/counsel in India which maintains the Central Rehabilitation Register, which mainly documents details of all qualified professionals who operate and deliver training and educational programs for the targeted communities.
It regulates and monitor services given to persons with disability, standardizes syllabi, and maintains a Central Rehabilitation Register of all qualified professionals and personnel working in the field of Rehabilitation and Special Education. It also lays down disciplinary action against unqualified persons delivering services to persons with disability.
Roles and Functions of RCI
The functions of the Rehabilitation Council of India are to develop, standardize and regulate training programs/ courses at different levels, in the field of Rehabilitation and Special Education.
The Central Rehabilitation Register for qualified Professionals/ Personnel in the area of Rehabilitation and Special Education is also maintained by it and it promotes research in Special Education. Before starting any program in the area of Rehabilitation & Special Education, the approval of RCI is necessary.
Prior approval of RCI is a must for all universities/ institutions/organizations, government and non-government, to start any training course in the field of Rehabilitation & Special Education. Prescribed norms for each training program have to be fulfilled, to be eligible for running a course.
Objectives or Functions of RCI
Following are the objectives or functions of RCI:
1. Regulating the training policies and programs for the rehabilitation of persons with disabilities.
2. Standardization of training courses for professionals dealing with persons with disabilities.
3. Prescribing minimum standards of education and training of various categories of professionals
4. Regulating these standards in all training institutes uniformly throughout the country
5. Recognizing institutions and universities running master’s degree or bachelor’s degree or diploma courses in the related field
6. Promoting research in Rehabilitation and Special Education.
7. Maintaining the Central Rehabilitation Register, for the registration of professionals and personnel.
8. Collecting information on a regular basis on education and training in the field of rehabilitation of people with disabilities from institutions in India and abroad.
9. Encouraging continuing education in the field of rehabilitation and special education by collaborating with other organizations
10. Recognizing Vocational Rehabilitation Centres as manpower development centres
11. Registering vocational instructors and other personnel working in the Vocational Rehabilitation Centres.
12. Recognising eminent institutions and national institutes on disability as manpower development centres
13. Registering personnel working in national institutes and apex institutions on disability under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
14. Recognizing degree/diploma/certificate awarded by foreign universities/ institutions on reciprocal basis
Functions of RCI (Roles and Functions of RCI)
1. The council is responsible for regulating training policies and programs for various categories of professionals in the area of disability.
2. Bringing out standardization of training courses for professionals dealing with people with disability.
3. Prescribing minimum standards of education and training of various categories of professionals/personnel dealing with people with disabilities.
4. Regulating standards in all training Institutions throughout the country.
5. Recognising Institutions/organizations/universities running master’s degree or bachelor’s degrees PG diplomas/certificate courses in the field of rehabilitation of persons with disabilities.
6. Recognizing degree diploma certificates awarded by foreign universities or Institutions on a reciprocal basis.
7. Promoting research in rehabilitation and special education.
8. Maintaining the Central rehabilitation register for the registration of professionals/personnel. Only those professionals who are registered with the CRR are authorized to practice anywhere in India and it is a statutory requirement for them.
9. Collecting information on a regular basis on education and training in the field of rehabilitation of people with this ability from institutions in India and abroad.
10. Encouraging continuing education in the field of rehabilitation and special education by collaborating with organizations working in the field of disability.
11. Recognizing vocational rehabilitation centres as manpower development centres.
12. Registering vocational instructors and other personal working in the vocational rehabilitation centres.
13. Granting recognition to the national and apex Institutions on disability as manpower development centres.
14. Registering personnel working in national institutes and apex Institutions on disability under the Ministry of Social Justice Empowerment.
National programs of RCI (Roles and Functions of RCI)
The following scheme of assistants to organizations for the disabled for manpower development are being run by RCI:
Assistance is made available under the scheme for training programs with regard to 16 categories of professionals brought under the RCI act. The broader objectives of the scheme are to promote training and to strengthen existing as well as new organizations.
RCI launched a national program of bridge courses for all in-service special teachers and rehabilitation workers who have no formal training but they have been working in the field of disability for a long time ie prior to RCI coming into existence in June 1993. Now such people can undergo a National bridge course training program in the area of specific disability for a month at the cost of RCI.
Training of the medical officers working in PHCs
RCI has planned to train about 30000 medical Doctors of Primary Health centres/ Community Health centres all over the country. The objective of the program is to enhance awareness amongst medicos, regarding the problems and potential of people with disability.
This would equip the PHC doctors with the basic requisite knowledge in this area and they would be able to refer such people to other suitable Agencies like regional resource centres.
Fellowship and Research scheme The council is planning to introduce RCI fellowship schemes to enable academicians and partitioners both from India and abroad to Undertaker short-term training or study programs in the field of specialization of rehabilitation to enrich knowledge and acquire skills to undertake short-term research projects.
We hope that this article on Exceptionality characteristics and types has been helpful to you. For more such notes contact us here.
See All B.Ed Assignments Here
Follow us on our social media handles to get regular updates-
- ICT File [Computerized]
- Drama and Art in Education File [ENGLISH]
- Reading and Reflecting on Texts File [ENGLISH]
- Reading and Reflecting on Texts file [HINDI]
- Understanding the Self file [English]
- Understanding the Self file [HINDI]
- English Lesson Plans
- Biology Lesson Plans
- Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Commerce Lesson Plans
- Social Science Lesson Plans
- Mathematics Lesson Plans
- Physical Science Lesson Plans
- English Lesson Plans
- Hindi Lesson Plans
- Economics Lesson Plans
- JAMIA FREE UPSC Coaching
- What do you mean by parenting? How does it influence the development aspects of children and adolescents?
- Define assessment. How is it useful in the school education system?
- Discipline, Its Types, and Importance.
- संज्ञानात्मक विकास का सिद्धांत।
- कोहलबर्ग के नैतिक विकास का सिद्धांत।
- मूल्यांकन, आकलन तथा मापन में अंतर।
- परीक्षा क्या है?
- आकलन क्या है?
- ज्ञान प्राप्ति के स्रोत कौन-कौन से हैं?
- एरिक्सन के मनो-सामाजिक विकास के सिद्धांत की व्याख्या कीजिये।
- परवरिश से आप क्या समझते हैं?
We hope that this article on the Concept Of Exceptionality has been beneficial for you. If you have any quarry or questions regarding the content on our website, feel free to contact us here.
Roles and Functions of RCI PDF, Roles and Functions of RCI Assignment Notes, Roles and Functions of RCI Notes, Roles and Functions of RCI Hand Written Notes, Roles and Functions of RCI PDF notes for B.Ed